|"promoting excellence every day
through knowledge and compassion"
CLINICAL PRACTICE COMMITTEE
Overview | Responsibilities | 2015 Accomplishments | 20016 Goals | Clinical Practice Champions
Committee on Diversity and Inclusion
Ethics in Clinical Practice
Clinical Practice Committee
Quality and Safety
Research and Evidence-Based Practice
At the SAFER Fair, champions tested the knowledge the knowledge of staff on new products, procedures and references to support them in delivering safe, evidence-based practice.
Champions heard a presentation on MESAC Restructuring/Pharmacy Updates fromJackie Mac Cormack-Gagnon, RPh. The committee will now be called the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Safety Committee and will have various committees which will have membership from clinicians and leadership including PP&P leadership. Given how closely nursing and pharmacy depends on each other the new structure will allow improved communication and collaboration.
Champions are brainstorming a name change for the committee to better reflect its work on practice. A recommendation will be sent to Gaurdia Banister, RN, Executive Director, Institute for Patient Care.
- Champions reviewed and gave feedback on the transition of policy and procedure manuals from Trove to Ellucid.
- Champions reviewed and gave feedback on multiple policies and procedures including: on Clinimix, IV Altepase, Zoll Vests, and Coude urinary catheter insertion. That feedback led to changes in those procedures and policies.
- Champions reviewed and gave feedback on: Central Line and PICC Line removal procedures. Champions ensured that there were consistent practices in these procedures.
- Committee champions partnered with members of the Respiratory Department regarding alignment of practices in procedures common to both disciplines, e.g. tracheostomy care, oxygen therapy.
- Committee Champions gave feedback on the transfusion policy and procedure. Champions were able to offer insight into documentation changes and helped create a new form where required information could be captured. Champions identified opportunities where practices could be improved.
- Committee champions have been actively involved in the review of new products and/or when the hospital has changed vendors; including new dressings and products for skin care. The champions are able to offer valuable input into value of these products based on their experiences in utilizing them in patient care.
return to top
- Nursing policies and products will continue to be reviewed by this Committee with the goal of ensuring safe nursing practice as well providing the most advanced nursing care for our patients.
- Clinical practice issues will continue to be raised, and the content experts will participate in addressing and resolving those issues.
- Policies and Procedures and nursing practice will be updated to ensure that they reflect current evidence based practice.
- To continue to review products that will be cost saving for the institution as well as ensuring that patient care is not compromised.
Meets the 2nd Tuesday of the month from 1-3:00 pm in the Sweet Room, Gray/Bigelow 432
James Bradley, RN, Staff Nurse, Ellison 7
Kristen Kingsley, RN, Staff Nurse, Bigelow 9
Lillian Ananian, RN, CNS, Blake 7
Barbara Cashavelly, RN Nursing Director, Lunder 9
Lynn Fitzgerald-Scannell, Nursing Administration & Support Services
CG Policy, Procedure & Products Champions
Clinical Practice Committee Overview
The Patient Care Services Clinical Practice Committee sub-Committee reviews and approves policies and procedures to ensure they are appropriately vetted and evidence-based. Champions review and approve products that are brought into the practice environment, including the plan for product roll-out. Champions should have an interest in influencing how the policies and procedures that guide practice are reviewed and implemented. They should also have an interest in being involved in the decisions to purchase and trial products in the clinical area. return to top
- Enhance professional development.
- Engage in joint projects with other Collaborative Governance committees.
- Align the work of the committee with PCS strategic goals. return to top