How do I become a volunteer?
- First you will have to attend an orientation (Click here to sign in)
- At orientation, you can schedule an interview with one of our staff
- During your interview, we will discuss proper assignments for you based on our patient’s needs and your experience
If I sign up for an orientation, but I can’t attend, how do I reschedule?
- If you are not able to attend an orientation, please visit our “Orientation Sign Up” page again. We will post instructions about how to sign up for the next orientation available
If I am interested in a particular area, what chances do I have to get the assignment I want?
- Due to the number of volunteer prospects we process, we can’t guarantee that a specific assignment will be available by the time you interview. We want to give you real-time information and will only discuss availability of any assignment during your interview.
Once I interview, how long would it take to officially start?
- The process is different for everyone and it depends on medical requirements and training.
- Typically, for someone with no medical requirements available, it could take from 2 weeks to 2 months to be cleared by Occupational Health. Different scenarios are discussed during orientation and at interview
- If you are a full time college student or someone who recently graduated from college, you will be required to show proof of two MMR vaccinations at the time of interview.
- If you are an MGH employee, you will be asked to go to Occupational Health and bring a copy of your vaccination and TB test history (Patient Summary Health Record Report)
If I am an MGH employee, do I have to attend orientation again?
- To provide an equal opportunity to all candidates, everyone is required to attend orientation and complete all medical and non-medical requirements.
If I have a group of people who would like to volunteer for one day, how can I process them?
- Because we require medical testing and back ground checks, we can’t accommodate group volunteering or volunteering for 1 day only. Our minimum time commitment is 40-50 hours and 4 months. Both requirements must be completed.
Once I start, can I volunteer once a month or every other week?
- In order to be part of our Volunteer Program we require you to come in once a week, every week on a regular schedule (same day/same time every week)
Can I volunteer in two or three different assignments?
- At the beginning, we would like for you to get to know the hospital. Get familiar with the geography and culture of MGH. This is essential to have when helping patients and families who are lost or need assistance. For these reasons, we will only allow one assignment per volunteer. Adding an assignment or changing your assignment must be discussed with the Volunteer Department staff.
Do I have to stop volunteering once I complete 4 months?
- We are lucky to count with volunteers who have been here for many, many years. Once you complete your minimum service time requirement, you are welcome to stay with us for as long as you want!! You can even apply for a different assignment with one of our staff.
I have a 14 year old son or relative who would like to volunteer. Can he attend orientation?
- Orientation dates listed under “Orientation Sign Up” are only for candidates 18 years or older. We have a Junior Program during the summer and another in the Fall (afterschool). To apply for the Junior Program you must be 16 or 17 years old. Please visit “Junior Program....” for more information. Please click here to find out more about the Junior Program.
FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT VOLUNTEERING PLEASE EMAIL US AT firstname.lastname@example.org